Pages To Turn

2/5/10

I Won't Close My Eyes

Today, we're discussing a song! Isn't that fun?

Morwen introduced me to a group, "Within Temptation", which I can't really describe or genre-ize. It is what it is (as much as I hate that phrase).

The following song, apparently, reminds Morwen of me. Makes sense, I suppose, on some level. She does know me pretty well.
Anyway, I take the lyrics of songs extremely personally. This song just punched WHAMMO, right into my heart.



I can see
When you stay low nothing happens
Does it feel right?

Late at night
things I thought I'd put behind me
haunt my mind

I just know there's no escape now
once it's set its eyes on you
but I won't run, have to stare it in the eye

Stand my ground, I won't give in
No more denying, I gotta face it
Won't close my eyes and hide the truth inside
If I don't make it, someone else will
Stand My Ground

It's all around
getting stronger, coming closer
into my world

I can feel
that it's time for me to face it
can I take it?

Though this might just be the ending
of the life I held so dear
but I won't run, there's no turning back from here

Stand my ground, I won't give in
No more denying, I gotta face it
Won't close my eyes and hide the truth inside
If I don't make it, someone else will
Stand My Ground

All I know for sure is I'm trying
I will always stand my ground

Stand my ground, I won't give in (I won't give in)
I won't give up (I won't give up)
no more denying, I got to face it
won't close my eyes and hide the truth inside
if I don't make it, someone else will

Stand my ground, I won't give in
No more denying, I gotta face it
Won't close my eyes and hide the truth inside
If I don't make it, someone else will
Stand My Ground.

This song has been going through my head for about a week now.

How do you protect yourself from something or someone you have no control over? How do you protect your reputation when someone out there that you've trusted in the past knows things about you that could be contorted into friend-breakers, life-wreckers? How do you deal with not trusting the very people you are forced to lay your reputation at the feet of?
I guess all you can do is... stay. Don't run, don't give up, don't turn back. Just face whatever is going to come. Don't stoop lower than your convictions just because you are afraid, just because you want to avoid defense. Don't break someone else's trust in you, though they break your trust in them. All you can do to remain blameless is to behave honorably, whatever gets thrown at you. When all the power is in another's hands, all you have to do is let the Truth prop you up, even though the world doesn't see it.
That way, even if someone takes your friends, your reputation, your happiness... you have something they cannot destroy, because you will always have the upper hand. You are always the one in control of your actions and words.

That's the pep talk I"ve been giving myself this entire week.

Ah, racing thoughts.

Love Always Protects,

-=Brenna=-

1 comment:

  1. I have no idea as to why no one has yet commented...

    I love this song for so many reasons. My friend Pennilyn always used to say, "Be kinder than you must, because everyone you meet is fighting some sort of battle."
    Everyone has a fight of some kind. Everyone has some nameless fear that they can sense behind and before them. And for the same reasons, everyone has something that they need to stand up for, and stand against.

    For the Christian, these things are fairly straightforward: self, world, and devil. But still, when you fight 'everyone,' when you fight the rebellion within yourself, when you fight supernatural darkness; you want to know that it's not in vain. Even if it's as simple as "If I don't make it, someone else will."

    ReplyDelete

Brenna is taking another call, or cannot come to the phone right now. Leave a message at the beep.

*BEEP*